Monday, September 9, 2019

Watermelon......


When I was a little girl, I was my Granddaddy’s (we called him Eaddy) favorite. Well, at least, I was his favorite until my brother was born. We all lived on the same property in different houses with my Eaddy and several other aunts, uncles, and cousins. Every morning of summer, Eaddy would pick me up and we would head to the field. I would spend what seemed like forever picking a watermelon from the patch. The watermelon I picked always seemed huge. I was never able to pick it up but my strong, able Eaddy would pick it up and carry it like a baby and throw it carelessly on the back seat of his Ford LTD. We would head down a long dirt road and I sat right there in the front seat-albeit without a seatbelt- knowing exactly where we were going. Eaddy would take me to the creek where I would jump out of the car almost before he stopped it. I would run to the creek and put my feet in, skipping rocks, and looking for worms. My Eaddy would take the watermelon out of the car and he would gently place it in a makeshift basket made from limbs and logs in the creek. The creek water was cool and that watermelon would sit in the creek all day.
We would soon leave the creek and head out where Eaddy oversaw the massive farm he owned. It was on these daily trips I learned to be an inquirer. I asked questions about everything. My Eaddy would also ask questions back. He also gave me glimpses of his wisdom and of his wise leadership skills as well. I remember once he was fussing at a worker about something he had done. He handed the man a pencil and said, “you need to erase and start over.” The man replied, “erasers are for people who make mistakes.” My grandfather responded with something I’ve always remembered, “No, erasers are for those willing to correct their mistakes.” It is something I’ve always held onto. Around the end of the day, Eaddy and I would get back into the car and head down the long dirt road again. I would squeal with delight as we got closer to the edge of the creek. I would run to the back of the car as Eaddy would open his trunk and take out a large knife. I then sat at a small homemade picnic table that had been made. Eaddy would wade through the water to get the watermelon, bring it back to the table, and slice it open with the sharp knife. The cool water made the watermelon so very cold and each time we did this, the watermelon was just as delicious as it was the first time. This truly is one of my favorite childhood memories.
I was thinking about this the other day just when I cracked open a watermelon that has been in my refrigerator. I thought about the anticipation of the afternoon. Each morning we went to the creek knowing what treat it would leave for us later that afternoon. As I sliced the watermelon in my kitchen, I thought about school. How many of us “squeal with delight” when we think about teaching our kids? Every single time I rode down that dirt road with Eaddy I knew what we were doing…every single time…but I was so excited every trip. I couldn’t wait to pick a melon, put my feet into the creek, skip a rock, open up the melon, and eat the amazing sweetness of that watermelon as it dripped down my chin. 
Do you get excited about your lesson plans? Do you get excited to learn more about your students? Do you look forward to watching your kids grow? Do burn with excitement about the memories you’ll make with them this year? Do you smile when you get out of your car thinking about what you’re going to accomplish with your kids?
Now I am not dumb. I know that some days are just harder than others. I know we have 9-12 hour days sometimes. We have difficult situations. We have tons of requirements. We have lots on the to do list, but we also have a room full of kids who deserve your “squeals of delight.” I hope you’ll never lose that-for them and for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment