Monday, September 16, 2019

Is Golf an Individual or a Team Sport?


Rosebro1 loves golf. He was devastated when his doctors would not let him play anymore. Golf was the perfect game for him. He is self motivated. He was totally focused on his game. He knew each course he played. He knew the lowest score he had made on that course and always challenged himself to score lower. He knew each hole on each course he played and he set goals for himself to do better each time. He got to know which clubs worked best for which shot. He knew how much power he had with his driver. He knew that his putting game was on spot. He knew that he needed to learn more skills for chipping. He was constantly challenging himself to do better than he had done before.
Yet, his game effected his team. Last weekend he and I were talking about golf as we passed a golf course. He misses it. He stated that it is an interesting sport to play but he never could decide if challenging himself helped him achieve more or if the team concept made him play harder. He knew that he had his own goals with each hole with each match, but he also knew that what he did effected the other players on his team. His score-his individual score- could help his team win or lose a match.
As he and I rode in silence for a little while and I tried to think of something inspiring to say to my heartbroken kid, I thought about the old, tired but true statement, “a mom is only as happy as her unhappiest child.” And then, as it so often happens, I started thinking about school and I changed the subject while I bored Rosebro1 with my analogy.
Working in a school is much like a golf team. Each of us has our individual strengths and weaknesses. Each of us is responsible for what happens in our own classroom or office. We set our goals on what we want our students to accomplish. We know what we are really good at and we know where we need work. We know which “driver” to use when we need the most power. We know what aspect of our teaching “game” needs the most work.  But as individual as that work is, it is a part of the bigger picture. We cannot work in silos and think that what we do doesn’t effect the rest of the school.
Just think about going into a reflection meeting and being the only person to have taught the planner. It is hard to reflect as a “team” when others haven’t done the work. Think of heading to a field trip and not everyone has collected permission slip forms. We can’t accomplish as a team if we don’t do what is expected of us as an individual.
In my first year teaching, I befriended a teacher in 4th grade who has become a great mentor. I loved her spirit. I loved her work ethic. I loved her passion. I wanted to learn everything I could from her. One afternoon I was leaving and she was still in her classroom. I walked in to talk- and probably get advice. She was sorting writing papers. I asked why she was sorting them and she said something I’ll never forget. She said, “those kids over there,” as she pointed to a small stack of papers, “they had Mrs. Smith last year.” And? I thought. “I have to grade them differently because Mrs. Smith doesn’t teach writing. No one wants her students.” No one wants her students. I’ve never forgotten that statement. It hurt me to the core. It hurt me because I’d never heard her speak negatively of anyone. But it hurt me because I was naïve to think that that would ever be true.
Everyday that we don’t do what is expected of us as teachers, we let down our team. We make the job of someone else harder. Not only do we hurt students. We hurt each other. Apathy towards others kills an organization. I never want to work in a building where apathy exists. It is wildly important to remember that what you do individually is important to you. It is important that you have goals, you seek help when you don’t know, and you work with passion. It is important to you, but it is important to the team. I would hope no one would ever, ever want to be known as the teacher where “no one wants your kids.” Be the teacher where others are begging to have your students after you’ve worked your magic. There could never be a higher compliment as a teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment