Monday, October 7, 2019

Buddy the ELf


The other night I couldn’t sleep. I read. I cleaned. I tossed and turned. Then I turned on the TV. For whatever reason, Buddy the Elf was on. I mean, it is only October…I actually think this was still September. Why in the world is Buddy the Elf on TV. For whatever reason I decided to watch this movie….for the 100th time.  I watched the movie until I drifted off to sleep. One of the last scenes I remember Buddy hears that Santa is on his way. Upon the news that Santa is coming to town, he can’t help but contain his excitement -“I know him! I KNOW him!”

That phrase, “I know him!” kept ringing in my ear the other day as I was doing a class observation. I didn’t understand exactly what was going on during the small group and what the other groups were doing. Don’t get me wrong, almost every student was engaged and almost every student amazed me with their work, I just didn’t 100% understand. So later that day I asked the teacher about it and I got more than I had anticipated. Not only could she fully explain each group’s assignments and her pedagogy, she explained almost every student in the class and where they were and what she was doing with them. Not once did she mention worksheets. Not once did she mention levels. Not once did she mention what the student couldn’t do. She discussed in detail where each student was functioning. She detailed her plan to get each child where she wanted them to be. She made no excuses about a parent not helping or last year’s teacher, or last year’s school. As I left the room, I stated “thanks, buddy.”

Why? Because all I could think of was “I know him! I know him!”  Knowing your students is the key to moving your students. The good news is there is a difference in not knowing AND not knowing yet.  The formula isn’t hard. But at the same time it isn’t easy. Be prepared. Be willing to adapt to that plan. Engage your students…be funny, tell stories, make it personal, make it connected. Reteach if necessary….don’t ever be that teacher who states, “I taught it, don’t know why they didn’t get it.” And reflect. Always, always reflect on what you’ve done and how you can do it better.

“I know him!” is the best way to start by moving a student from good to great.

No comments:

Post a Comment