Monday, March 19, 2018

IGNITE The Fire within


Recently I have been conducting interviews. Every spring this is what I do.   I will never forget pulling into an elementary school almost 24 years ago for my first teaching job interview.  I was so excited to get a job teaching, a goal that I had for myself for over 15 years and had worked hard in and out of the classroom to put myself into this position.  I had the right outfit, a wonderful portfolio that I had put together, and arrived a precise 10 minutes early for the interview.  I made eye contact and shook hands with the principal and assistant principal when they introduced themselves.  The first 5 questions or so I was on fire.  I had great answers for each question and with each answer I became more and more confident.  Then things went south.  I stumbled over a question about urban and suburban, mixing up their definitions.  I then had a hard time finding the right words to answer a question about poverty.  I stumbled through the last few question as my confidence diminished.  This left me frustrated and I honestly remember for the first time in my life, I felt that my dream of being a teacher was in jeopardy.  My next interview was in my hometown of Manning.  My poor interview the week before had cracked me.  I was a nervous wreck.  I wasn’t myself, I lacked belief that I could do it, and I failed again.  This left me even more upset, mad, and with less confidence than ever before.  Then I started thinking about my goal.  I wanted to be a teacher.  I wanted to change the lives of kids, I wanted to make a real difference in those around me.  So, I contacted one of my professors and asked for a fake interview.  I asked the principal of the school where I was student teaching if she would pretend interview me and give me feedback and advice.  I read and I reflected on the past two interviews.  Now, I think you all know how the story ends.  After a couple of weeks of really hard work, I was called to other interviews.  I vowed to myself that I would not let my doubts or fears enter my mind as I answered their questions.  I was offered that job, and two others actually before I finally accepted a job here in Spartanburg.  Looking back I think about what ignited me more.  Was it my inner fear of never being employed or was it my drive to be the very best at whatever I do? So as I drove by the school of my first failure this weekend, I started thinking? What ignites your fire?  What motivates you to want to improve?  Do you even measure your improvement? Do you see the need for growth? Every day I’m motivated to improve.  Sometimes that motivation comes from outside-a blog I’ve read, feedback from a teacher, or a situation that didn’t go so well, and sometimes that feedback comes from within.  No matter what, I am constantly striving to do things better. So as we enter the homestretch to spring break, what is igniting you?

No comments:

Post a Comment