Monday, December 18, 2017

Making a Difference

As most of my Saturdays are now, I spent this last Saturday at a wrestling tournament (that eventually landed me spending my Saturday night in the ER…long story).  As with me most of the time, I was running (as I like to call it) “right on time”. The rest of my home likes to be early….I like to be right on time….not late, but not early.  We arrived just in time for Rosebro2’s first match.  I thought it was strange at the wrestling table, but as I was taking my seat, the whistle blew and the referee was holding up Rosebro2’s arm in victory. I had no clue what had happened until my hubby explained that Rosebro2 won through forfeit. The other team didn’t have someone for Rosebro2 to wrestle.  Because wrestlers do not eat prior to weigh in, Rosebro2 came over to us after his victory and asked for his lunch.  He was discussing his next match when he said, “I guess wrestling has taught me something.” Intrigued that he would like to learn outside of school, I listened intently as he said, “Sometimes in life, you win just by showing up!”
It is so very hard to believe that 1/2 of the school year is now complete.  As each year passes of my career in education, I’m reminded how short the time is that I’ve been given to make a difference in this world.  It is the last thing I think about before I go to bed and next to where’s the coffee, it is the first thing I think about when I wake up.  What can I do to make a positive difference in my world?  I often know that I am doing that by raising two incredible young men who have a spirit of giving and a rich understanding that life is about who and what you are on the inside that really matters. But aside from those two, I often struggle with the answer of “am I doing enough to make a difference?” I was sharing this the other day with a friend who reminded me in her ever so eloquent manner that I do one thing every day that makes a difference.  I show up.  As Rosebro2 put it, “Sometimes in life, you win just by showing up!”
The way we gauge success can be shown in showing up.  When you show up, generous, confident, and engaged in what you are doing, amazing things happen.  Now, this is where I’ll get religious, but I believe that when we show up with a generous heart, a confident, kind spirit, and with an engaged mind, God does the rest.  So this Christmas break, I urge you to show up for those you love and rest your weary soul so you will be ready to show up January 8th for an incredible second half of this school year.

Have a wonderful holiday. May you be filled with joy, peace, and fulfillment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment