Monday, October 16, 2017

We all make them.........

I have been doing a Daniel Fast for almost 40 days. This fast is not a “no food” fast, it requires the elimination of any animal or animal byproducts, dairy, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, and sugar.  I basically eat any fruit, any vegetable, hummus, and quinoa.  My fast will be over on Saturday. I have done very well-except for one Saturday-it had been a bad week.  While I haven’t lost any weight, I have felt amazing and have started to rethink what I eat and what I purchase. While at the grocery store Sunday afternoon, I was purchasing premade salads for my lunch each day this week. I was contemplating the various types of salads the store offered when one slipped out of hand, fell to the concrete floor of the store, and rained romaine lettuce upon me like a big ole salad confetti party. Now I don’t get embarrassed often. I am so used to doing dumb stuff that embarrassing me is difficult. Yet, as I stood in the grocery store picking lettuce, raisins, cranberries, and olives off me, two employees came running over to assist in my clumsiness.  MANY other shoppers passed me as I stood in my aftermath of my salad shower. A few did not even notice as they were too engrossed in their own shopping, a few looked at me with such judgement as if I were the least qualified grocery shopper out there, and a few smiled in great sympathy, one or two chuckled, and one even made fun of me.
It didn’t matter the looks of sympathy or the looks of disdain. Nothing could compare to the humiliation that I felt.  As I was detailing my story of embarrassment to my family, they all laughed at me and yelled “report card”.

My family gets to hear “school stories” all the time. Every single time the Rosebros get their report cards, they are reminded of the time that I sent home report card envelopes home with my students----completely empty.  Not a report card in any one envelope.  This was well before the days of computer generated report cards and the report on attendance had been given to me at the last minute. During my planning period, I was filling out attendance at my portable desk while the foreign language teacher was teaching my students in my classroom. I was interrupted by the principal who wanted help with a fundraiser and at the end of the day I sent home empty envelopes. I realized my mistake about 5 minutes after school when I was reloading my portal desk and saw the report cards. I tried emailing parents-but back then not everyone had an email address. I tried calling parents as well. I also had two parent emails and one parent phone call before I left school.  Imagine how bad I felt the very next day when one of my students and his mom were waiting for me at my door when I arrived. She declared that she had had it with her son’s lying ways and he had been severely punished the night before for hiding his report card and she wanted to see a copy of his report card. I felt like the worst teacher ever……poor student had actually brought up his grades, begged his mom to believe him, but he had been punished because his horrible terrible teacher had made a mistake. I was obsessive after that about checking report card envelopes. Almost 15 years later, I still get upset by this mistake. (The mother, by the way, laughed and stated that she was sure her son had done something to deserve the punishment she had given him and she wasn’t at all upset with me)

We educators make mistakes all the time. If you pause for just a second, you can probably think of something small and/or big that you’ve done mistakenly. Sometimes we feel like we’ve made mistakes-even we haven’t.  But the good news is, our mistakes don’t define us, they help us grow. I don’t know if you are like me, but I always see failure to grow is failure to thrive and failure to contribute. The best part of failure is opportunity. It gives us the opportunity to rethink how we handle procedures, classroom management, and instruction.  Mistakes help us do better next time. Mistakes help define our greatness because along the path we will make mistakes We will do things that we wish we could press the rewind button on and have a do-over. Boy, do I wish I could go back and put those report cards in the envelopes. But, I can’t. I cannot take back that mistake or the hundreds of other mistakes I have made. The beauty of it all is that I use that mistake every single day to remind me of double checking where I put things (this may be why I never lose things). Additionally, when I forgot those report cards, I did not try to cover it up. I did not try to lie or my way out of it or make excuses as to why I did it, I didn’t blame the powerschool clerk for getting me the report late, or blame my principal for making me have my planning period on a cart rather than in my class-I owned that mistake. I immediately went to my principal, I made phone calls, I sent emails. I apologized to parents. And, I figured out how NOT to make that mistake again. Mistakes happen every single day. Mistakes are not meant to defeat you, they are meant to teach you.  The really important thing to do afterwards is to reflect upon that mistake and NOT do it again.  Bear Bryant once said when you make a mistake you do three things: “admit it, learn from it, and don’t repeat it.”

People make mistakes, mistakes don’t make you.

No comments:

Post a Comment