Monday, May 8, 2017

Draft Day

 I am a football junkie and I am a huge Clemson fan. Rosebro2 is no different. The NFL draft was a few weeks ago starting on a Thursday night. Rosebro2 and I had spent many hours discussing possible draft picks and scenarios. We had watched analysis, we made a mock draft, we debated each other's choices.  As it just so happened Rosebro1 & 2 had a concert the night of the draft. The concert was to end at 8 but ran over. A few minutes after 8 my phone buzzed and I saw a news ping detailing the #1 draft pick. I carefully watched Rosebro2. I knew his phone had buzzed in his pocket as well. One to follow the rules, he was caught in a conundrum.  Should he not look at his phone, or would his need to know who the #1 draft pick prevail. Even from the bleachers, I saw the panic in his face. I also saw the very poor job he did of pulling his phone out quickly from his pocket, the "YES" fist pump he made at his seat as he put his phone away. After the concert, we quickly drove home so we could watch the remainder of the draft looking for our Clemson favorites and when they were going to be picked.   
  As we watched the ESPN coverage, I was memorized by the way they scrutinized these players to pieces.  As the announcers were making predictions of who the next pick would be, they gave stats from the college play, their NFL combine, their weight, height, strength, agility, speed, quickness, focus, leadership, and their off the field character. They spoke of their weaknesses and what they needed to do in order to get better.  It got me thinking, what if we had a teacher draft or a principal’s draft?  Would I make round 1?  Would you be a first round pick? Now in the real world this would never work. When I taught 6th grade the first assignment I always gave to judge their writing skills, was to tell about their favorite teacher.  Not one child spoke about an easy teacher or one who gave little homework or showed movies.  What they described was teachers who challenged them, inspired them think, encouraged them and treated them well.  So no need to work on that 40 yard dash, but remember kids are counting on you to be worthy of their number one draft pick. 


No comments:

Post a Comment