Monday, September 19, 2016

Fan Club


     Two of the biggest benefits of being done with my dissertation is having my weekends back and being able to go back to football Saturdays with my family.  Last Saturday, we watched Clemson try really really hard to lose to Troy State.  It was exciting for another reason as well because Cedarius Rookard, former JBE student and SHS graduate, plays for Troy and Tavien Feaster, a 2016 SHS graduate, plays for Clemson.  My husband, not being a SC native, married into this Clemson craziness. While he pulls for Clemson, probably out of fear of divorce and the fact that pretty much all men in my family have a gun in their trucks, my husband tolerates Clemson tailgating, 80,000 loud fans, and the insane traffic coming into and leaving Death Valley. But this game was different.  He was super excited to see two of his former players on the big stage. Cedarius was the first player to touch the ball in the game running back the opening kickoff. Unfortunately Troy scored on their first drive, and kicked off to Clemson to none other than Tavien Feaster.  I got such a kick out of watching my husband-as well as trying to explain to the folks around us why we were decked out in orange and purple but cheering for Cedarius and the excitement of seeing Tavien in his first game. 
     As the game came to a dramatic end, my husband (never one to really like this at Clemson) raced down to the field in order to find Tavien and/or Cedarius. Now if you know my husband, you understand why I watched in amazement. He is my polar opposite. I am full of energy, excitement and enthusiasm. I have ADHD and am never still even when sitting, I am loud and can be a tab bit embarrassing while he is laid back, quiet, reserved, and somewhat a wallflower in public situations. But on the field he was almost running over folks to find his former students. While watching my husband act in a non-predictable manner, got me thinking about us with our students.  Cedarius had a great game, but his team lost. Tavien only touched the ball a few times. Yet, my husband needed to high five them, give them a “man” hug, and congratulate them. It was important to him to celebrate with “his kids”. 
     My thoughts drifted to our students. Our students don’t usually make it on the big screen. Our students’ “big moments” may be staying on green two days in a row, finally getting that math concept you’ve been working on for weeks, writing a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end or even engaging in conversation.  But the feelings are the same as if they are on the big stage in front of 80,000 screaming fans.  Do we celebrate those moments? Or do we worry about what they don’t know? Do you spend time patting them on the back for what they did right or do you focus on what is left undone? My husband celebrated with Tavien as if he had won the Heisman and he honestly touched the ball only twice and it reminded me of one of the most important lessons of our classrooms.  Don’t forget to celebrate-big and small. We all need a fan club.

No comments:

Post a Comment